Certificate of Origin
A Certificate of Origin (CO) is an important international trade document attesting that goods in a particular export shipment are wholly obtained, produced, manufactured or processed in a particular country.
The fee for a Certificate of Origin ranges from $129 for non-members to $49 for members. To purchase go to the shopping cart. members must log in to get the discounted price.
Most chambers of commerce, including the Surprise Regional Chamber of Commerce have been authorized by their customs agencies to certify non-preferential, and in some cases, preferential certificates of origin. A chambers' role in the issuance and attestation of Certificates of Origin is both unique and vital in facilitating international trade.
Each CO must be stamped with the official CO seal of the Surprise Regional Chamber of Commerce.
The Surprise Regional Chamber of Commerce issues "Non-Preferential CO's," i.e. “ordinary COs,” which certify that the country of origin of a particular product does not qualify for any preferential treatment.
The CO may be required because of established treaty arrangements, varying duty rates, and preferential duty treatment dependent on the shipment´s origin.
This form requires the authorized signature of the chamber of commerce secretary and the official seal of the organization.
Use the NAFTA CO for destinations to Canada and Mexico if the goods qualify as North American origin goods.
The descriptions and amounts on the CO must be consistent with those entered on the Invoice. In general, you need a CO when the country of origin is U.S., and the destination countries and goods are the following:
- Albania: The good is any commercial food, drug, medicine, or medical equipment. This includes all commercial food, drug, or medicine samples.
- Argentina: The good is any textile, regardless of value (unusable textile samples do not require a CO).
- Austria: Required for all commercial textile shipments.Textile samples of "no commercial value" under 256.00 EUR/$235.00 USD do NOT require a CO. A CO is also NOT required for purchases of limited quantities of textile for personal use only, less than 820.00 EUR/$760.00 USD (Must not be in bulk quantities).
- Belgium: All shipments containing textile products that originate in non EU-countries. Exempt are textile sample shipments of no commercial or customs value and purchases under 250.00 EUR/$230.00 USD per commodity.
- Bolivia: All non-documents valued over $3,000 USD.
- Canada: See the NAFTA CO.
- Canary Islands: The good is any non-document.
- Denmark: Textile shipments valued over 1000.00 DKR/$110.00 USD and from a non-EU origin (A CO is not needed for textile SAMPLES - if "samples" appears on the invoice).
- Finland: For all non-EU countries: All commercial textiles and textile samples over 45.00 EUR/$54.00 USD. For European non-EU countries: Not required if proof of origin can be determined from EUR1 document or declaration on invoice. Note: A CO is NOT required for purchases of limited quantities of textiles for personal use (must not be in bulk or wholesale quantities).
- France: All shipments of textiles and clothing manufactured in non-EU countries if the CIF value of the shipment is greater than 1,000.00 EUR/$980.00 USD. Photocopied or imaged certificates will not be accepted.
- Germany: All commercial shipments of textiles. Textile samples with no commercial value and a customs value exceeding 250.00 EUR/$230.00 USD. Textile shipments to private individuals for personal use if the value exceeds 1,000.00 EUR/$980.00 USD.
- Greece: All textile shipments from non-EU countries; All commercial shoe shipments from non-EU countries.; Samples (ONLY up to three shoe/textile items or less than seven square meters of textile sample) do NOT require a CO.
- Ireland: All textile shipments with a value exceeding 254.00 EUR/$234.00 USD require a CO. The exception is textile shipments for personal use. Customs limits the quantities.
- Israel: Trading relations between the U.S. and Israel allow reduced or canceled duties for U.S.-made goods that are shipped with a green Certificate of Origin for trade with Israel (CO). The shipper is responsible for the CO. This must be filled out in capital letters and in English only. UPS can prepare the Certificate of Origin for a US$10.00 service fee (only by using WorldShip®).
- Italy: Customs requires a CO for all textile shipments and for all online purchases of any value from private individuals. Customs exempts low-value shipments of samples with a value of 45.00 EUR/$25.00 USD or less.
- Japan: Silk items over 300 square meters require a CO. Silk items below 300 square meters can be noted on the commercial invoice.
- Kuwait: All non-document shipments over $1,500.00 USD must be accompanied by a CO with a stamped ("legalized") seal from the origin country chamber of commerce. Note: All goods destined for U.S. Air Force installations are exempt from this requirement and will not need a Certificate of Origin.
- Mexico: See the NAFTA CO.
- Netherlands: All textile shipments valued over 345.00 EUR/$319.00 USD.
- Spain: A CO is needed for all shipments that may be eligible for duty-free treatment due to existing trade agreements, such as EFTA, SPG (System of Generalized Preferences), and LOMA. All textile shipments (including personal) must have a CO. Textiles may also require an import permit.
- United Kingdom: Textile shipments over 18.00 GBP (26.60 EUR/$25.00 USD). Exempt are purchases of limited amounts of textile goods for personal use only (must not be in bulk or wholesale quantities). Also exempt are commercial samples of negligible value.
A textile is anything made of cloth or fabric, garments, apparel, finished textile products, products made wholly or partially of textile material as well as raw material, including auto car seats, suits, dresses, bolts of fabric, and so on.
Commercial is a business-to-business or business-to-person transaction involving the purchase or sale of a commodity.
Note:The rules for when a CO is needed change often. Please be sure to verify the current criteria requiring a CO before sending your shipment.